Another work in progress – this will eventually be an embroidered sleeve for a 15th Century farsetto (Italian doublet) for my fiance. The design is inspired by his heraldry (the lion is his primary charge) and the Caidan populace badge.
There is already a running joke at he will only be allowed to wear this farsetto at approved events (indoor only, not while eating, etc) as he is very hard on his clothes.
I have finished all the outlines and started the fill work. The outlines and fill work thus far are split stitch. I am planning on long-and-short stitch for the crescents and lion, the drapery on the sides will be in couched silk and gold, and the the banner at the bottom will eventually have the motto morte prima di disonore (death before dishonor) in pearls.
On a side note, I have decided that I need a better camera as mine doesn’t like photographing silk 🙂
I am currently working on the first garment I have ever made totally by hand – I have been hand-finishing my garb for several years now, but this is the first piece with the seams done by hand.
I decided to start small so I am making a hood based the find from Skjoldehamn, Norway. This find has been dated to the 10th or 11th century.
My hood is made of navy blue wool lined in unbleached linen. I sewed the shell using navy silk thread and sewed the lining using linen thread. I find that I like working with linen sewing thread, which is interesting since I hate embroidering with linen floss. The seams are done in running stitch, with the seam allowance folded to one side and secured using whip stitch.
As of right now, both the lining and the shell are assembled, and I am working on finishing the face opening using blanket stitch through a single-fold hem on each layer.